Trump Threatens to Bomb Oman Amid Iran Peace Talks Collapse
The situation in the Middle East deteriorated further on Monday after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman if it does not stop meddling in the peace negotiations between the U.S. and Iran. Read on for the latest details as the war with Iran rages on.
President Threatens Ally Oman in Fox News Interview
President Trump raised eyebrows on Monday when he threatened military action against a longtime ally of the U.S. Trump made the comments during a phone interview with Fox News, telling the network's chief foreign correspondent that "If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the s--- out of them." The comments to Trey Yingst come as the U.S. and Iran spar over control of the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran has also been in talks with Oman about the reopening of the crucial strait. The waterway borders both Oman and Iran, serving as a key strategic piece in the Middle East. Both the U.S. and Iran claim to have control of the strait.
Leaders in Tehran said that they will not agree to a deal until the U.S. provides compensation. The White House has rejected this proposal, asserting that the U.S. naval blockade on Iranian ports has been a successful barrier to prevent Iranian ships from traveling into the strait to transport oil. Although Iran claims it still has access to the Strait of Hormuz, Trump said last week that he is ready to declare the waterway a "territory of the United States."
The president was asked about his Monday morning interview and comments about Oman later in the day in the Oval Office. When asked by a reporter to clarify his remarks about Oman, Trump said, "I don't think they've behaved very well, but we'd handle them very easily, just like we do other things."
The Trump administration has also been openly frustrated with what they say is a disconnect between what Iranian leaders are telling American negotiators and what they are saying to the public. The president has often accused Tehran of lying to him by saying one thing in private and then acting in opposition to those promises.
Latest in Peace Negotiations with Iran
Trump's recent threats directed at Oman came on the same day as the expiration of a 60-day window for the U.S. and Iran to get on the same page about the peace negotiations. The so-called "memorandum of understanding" was designed in June to provide both parties more time to hammer out a deal. However, the parameters of the loose agreement fell apart within days.
It should be noted that Trump had initially said in February that the war with Iran would only last six weeks. Instead, it has dragged on for six months.
During the Monday interview with Fox News, Trump reportedly told Yingst that Iran should surrender. The president went on to tell Yingst, "I have no time schedule" and "I'm not in a hurry." Trump's GOP colleagues might disagree, as polls continue to demonstrate that the party is losing favor with the American voters as the November midterms quickly approach.
The Strait of Hormuz processes roughly 20% of the planet's crude oil and liquefied gas, making its control important to both the U.S. and Iran. After a brief respite in the war during June's negotiation process, Iranian forces have begun to attack the ships traveling through the strait that are not authorized to be there.
While this has not been verified, the White House claims that the U.S. naval blockade has opened the waters to all of the world's commercial ships except for those originating in Iran. Trump said that this blockade has demolished Iran's economy, as oil is its chief export and source of economic gain. Conversely, Iran says that Trump is wrong and that the strait is under the "complete management and control" of Iran, as they control what commercial ships can pass through.
When speaking to reporters recently, Trump said that his primary goal in the Middle East is to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. This is in contrast to White House advisers, who say that keeping oil prices in check is a main goal.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with the president's son-in-law Jared Kushner on Monday in Israel. The pair reportedly met for over four hours, with Kushner saying that Hamas could soon disarm but that the U.S. would support Israeli military action in the Gaza Strip if this does not happen.
Curious for more stories that keep you informed and entertained? From the latest headlines to everyday insights, YourLifeBuzz has more to explore. Dive into what's next.